I was off yesterday and took time to I’m work on the (many) yard work projects that have to do. I was able to get two of the major projects that done, but I still have quite a bit of work left to do over the summer to truly get the yard back in order.
If It’s Broke, Then Fix It.
Last summer, my lawn mower broke, so this summer I bought a new one. I managed to use it twice and was able to (slightly) get ahead of the yard work. Then guess what happened? Yup, it broke too. Now the thing was still under warranty, so I could have called the warranty information number and got service. However, the part was a small one and the failure was minor (a bolt that held the mulching cover to the mower had rusted and broke off). Now, it took me a while to find the correct cover on Amazon and a YouTube video that showed how to repair it (a couple of weeks, in which time the grass and other yard works grew exponentially). My stepfather saved me some time and money by reminding me that I didn’t need to order a new part; I just needed to remove the part from the old mower and put it on the new one. This weekend, I finally was able to go to Ace and get the tools to effect the repair. However, I ended up returning them as it turns out I didn’t even need them (they were too big for the job anyway). A simple wrench that I’d bought from Ace already was sufficient to do the job. It only took about 20 minutes to get it done and I was back in business.
It’s a Jungle Out There
So, the 2nd major project that I tackled was clearing the brush from the various fences. I didn’t clear everything–that will take a while, but I was able to make a dent in the fences and other areas around the house where the bushes could clearly be seen from the street. I did miss one set, if I’m honest, as it required me to climb on the ladder and I was too tired to drag it out (I did this at about 4:30 pm in the afternoon, so the temps were about high 80s/low 90s (F). It didn’t really affect me, but I should have done that set first because, at the end of a long day of cutting, I just didn’t feel like getting out the ladder.
Still, the pile was fairly substantial and I called our city’s brush removal services in order to get them to come and pick the brush from the lawn. So, while I didn’t get any writing or reading done (in any meaningful way), I did at least work on making the house more presentable and got it looking fairly nice (just in time for the rain which is forecast for Thurs/Friday of this week). Oh well, at least that’s done for this week and I can move on to other things. Have a good one!
Please consider supporting these fine small press publishers where my work has appeared:
- Purchase Dragonhawk on Amazon.com (Paperback) or Kindle
- Purchase WarLight on Amazon.com (Paperback) or Kindle
- Purchase Ship of Shadows on Amazon.com (Paperback) or Kindle
- Purchase Faerie Knight on Amazon.com (Paperback) or Kindle
- Current Work-in-Progress–February 2019: Project Dog (Sci-Fi Short-Story – 1st Draft — Character Draft “Finished”)
- Current Work-in-Progress: Ship of Shadows (Sci-Fi Graphic Novel – Script, Issue # 2, Currently on Script Page 32)